- Buy locally to avoid shipping damage during cold/hot weather.
- Buy from a local source so you can see your purchase.
- Check the flower spike for yellow slightly shrunken buds. These buds will fall off.
- Is the root system healthy? Roots are often visible through a translucent pot. Healthy orchid roots are white or green-tinged. An orchid with a healthy root system is firmly anchored and will not wobble if you move the plant or its pot.
- Avoid buying an orchid with leaves that are wrinkled or limp.
- The pseudobulbs should be plump and not shriveled.
- Make sure the pot has at least one drainage hole.
- If the oldest flower (the one closest to the base of the plant) is wilted this is the first sign that the spike is aging. It won't last much longer.
- A spike with the two youngest buds unopened will last significantly longer than one with all of the flowers open.
Happy Valentines Day!